Wednesday, July 18, 2012

DVD Case Unlock

I love my local public library, but once in awhile we come home with stack of DVDs for the kids in which there is one that they did not manage to unlock.  Who wants to drive all the way back to library just to get the case unlocked?   The same thing happens with new DVD purchases at retail stores.  This post is not intended for the theft of DVDs, only for those of us who are stuck at home with a product we have already purchased, rented, or checked out legally.


Ultimately, the proper way to unlock this type of  magnetic lock DVD case is by using a magnetic lock release machine or by using a pair of very strong yet compact magnets like those from a dead computer hard drive.  However, it is unlikely that you have two such magnets lying around your house--Refrigerator magnets are too weak.

The method I show below will unlock the magnetic locking strip on the edge of the DVD case without using magnets.  This method requires making two very small punctures along the locking edge of the case.  There is very minimal (almost imperceptible) damage to the plastic case and the punctures are nowhere near the already terribly scratched public library DVD which I was attempting to free.

Make the first small puncture in the lower right front of the case at exactly 2.2cm (7/8in) from the bottom and 0.5cm from the locked edge as shown.


While the puncture does not need to go very deep, you must of course puncture through the case and not just the clear plastic cover.  This can be done with a thumb tack, small nail, large safety pin, or even a drill with 1/16in bit.

Now make the second puncture in the upper left back of the case at exactly 3.5cm from the top and 0.5cm from the locked edge as shown.



Once the case has been punctured at both of these spots, use two paper clips to press inward on the magnetic locking pins at each puncture point and slide the locking slide to the green unlock position as shown in this simplified version of the locking mechanism.




You are achieving with the paper clips what the magnets do from the outside when the DVD case is swiped through the machine at checkout.


There are newer more expensive DVD cases out there which are more advanced than this, but this older cheaper locking case is very common.  If your case does not appear to be this type, be careful, you can seriously damage the case or even the DVD.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this! Saves me the effort of going back to the store and getting it unlocked :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a star! Saved me a long drive back to the store - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why the library has to lock "My little Pony" is beyond me but kudos on the post it could have gotten ugly hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! My sister and I used this to break into the library's copy of Muppet Christmas. Whew! We were celebrating a late "Christmas" with my family, and it just wouldn't have been the same without it. Ironically, I'm a librarian. Just not at the same system that uses this irritating system for locking up DVDs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The librarian didn't unlock our DVD cases, the library we got them from is across town, and my kids were in tears, so I gave it a try. I had a hard time getting the pins into the right spot because I do not have a good ruler with fractions of centimeters. But I tried an approximation of those measurements and realized that when you are in the right spot the push pin will go in all the way. Once you have drilled into the right spot, you can twist them as shown above, but I found that very hard to do. I must not have been the the optimal spot. However, I was able to leave the pins in place and then shake the case in the upside down position using gravity to move the mechanism until the case unlocked (green). This was way too much fun, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome. I feel like I was in Mission Impossible doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ^^ LOL!! I agree, this was an adventure! Thanks so much for posting this.. Its 10pm, library shut hours ago and I was just losing hope that I could watch the DVD I borrowed. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks, dvd I purchased months ago from I don't remember where, is finally opened in 2 mins after reading this post. I had put it away and forgotten about it, then pulled it out one afternoon only to discover it was locked. The first couple of 'how to' sites I looked at were too complicated, this was very easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For a CD case the dimensions are a bit different.
    Front is .5 cm by 2.0 cm.
    Rear is .5 cm by 3.0 cm.

    ReplyDelete