Sunday, August 5, 2012

Old Washing Machine Tripping New GFCI

This post explains how I was able to resolve the issue of my old washer tripping my new GFCI.  This is just a possible solution.  There are other reasons your washer may be tripping a GFCI and some could be dangerous.  Consult a professional electrician if you are unsure of any of this.

One of my summer projects has been updating our electrical outlets with GFCIs where it is required by electrical code (outdoor, garage, kitchen, bath, within 6ft of a sink, etc.,).  This brought me to the GFCI electrical code vs. washing machine dilemma.  

Old washing machines will tend to trip a GFCI during regular operation because the GFCIs are so sensitive.  For this reason many homeowners and landlords have their old washing machines powered by a non-GFCI protected circuit.  Of course, in most cases that is violation of electrical code.

I went ahead and installed a new GFCI into the outlet that powers our washing machine, hoping for the best.



(Not pictured here, but I placed electrical tape over the side terminals before placing the GFCI into the box to prevent any shorts because of the tight spacing.)


Sure enough, our old washer tripped the GFCI twice during just the first load after the GFCI had been installed.

Before giving in and removing the GFCI or buying a new washer, I decided to attempt some cleaning.  An old washing machine is likely to be caked with detergent, dust, and detergent-soaked dust.  This material will conduct electricity and can really build up in and around the control panel and knobs.  Add to that the likelihood that the washer is in a very warm, humid, lint-filled area and there is bound to be some current leaking here or there.



I did a thorough cleaning with a damp cloth on and under the control panel and knobs (with the washer unplugged).  I also used a can of compressed air meant for cleaning electronics to flush the gobs of dust from behind the knobs and wash setting dial.  I let it dry fully (with the aid of a hairdryer, replaced the control panel, plugged it back in ran a new load of laundry.  Ten loads later and it has yet to trip the GFCI again.  It is also likely that I will need to do this as a maintenance routine every 6 months to a year.








No comments:

Post a Comment