Monday, January 14, 2013

Smartphone Wall Dock Wood for GS3 with Gel Case

Built this wooden wall dock for my Samsung Galaxy S3 with gel case from the following materials:

1 10"x7.25"x0.75" block of pine
4 Wood furniture knobs (1.5")
2 Wooden pegs 3/4"x3/4"
6 Wooden knob mounting screws (came with furniture knobs)
2 Screw eyes and chain (to make it a little more portable)
Wood Glue
Jigsaw
Drill with 1/8" and 5/32" bits

The cost to build this was less than $10 especially because most of the materials I already had laying around in my garage.  Even if you had to purchase everything from scratch, it would still be under $20.  This design could also be adapted to almost any smartphone.  In fact, the measurements I used for my GS3 with the gel case on also fit my old HTC Inpsire (Desire HD) without a case on it.

This wooden dock secures the phone vertically with 6-points of contact or horizontally with 4 points. It reaches over the bezel at four locations to secure the phone leaving access to the power button, the volume button, the microUSB slot, the headphone jack, the front-facing camera, the proximity sensors, and the entire screen including the menu, home, and back keys.










Pre-arranged rough fit using my old HTC.





Used jigsaw to cut main block to size.





Measurements to fit my Samsung Galaxy S3 with gel case.  (May need to be tightened up a little to fit the GS3 without a case on it or loosened to fit for a thicker case.)



View From Back Side and Upside Down


Front Side with threads protruding



























The same dimensions will also secure my old HTC Inspire (Desire HD) without a case.


No comments:

Post a Comment